If evangelism truly is communication with a view toward conversion, then the question becomes what is the message of Evangelism? The answer to this is off course the Gospel. But what are the key elements of the Gospel the need to be proclaimed?
- God is the creator, King, and Lawgiver
- Man sinned and rejected God as King and now deserves God’s wrath.
- Christ, the Son of God, came and died as a sacrifice for our sin. Rising from the dead three days later as our Lord.
- [By the way, if we want people to repent and believe then we need to present the Person of Christ (The Lord to repent and submit to) and the Work of Christ (to believe in)]
- If we respond to the work of Christ with repentance and faith then we will be forgiven and receive the full benefits of eternal salvation.
The following are the essential points of this good news that God graciously gives us in the Bible:
- God created and owns everything, including you. – Genesis 1:1, Psalm 24:1
- God is perfectly holy. – Matthew 5:48
- God requires your perfect obedience to His law. – James 2:10
- You have broken God’s law. – Romans 3:10; 23
- You will pay the eternal penalty for your sin. – Romans 6:23
- You cannot save yourself by your good works. – Titus 3:5
- Christ came to earth as both God and sinless man. – Colossians 2:9
- Christ demonstrated His love by dying on the cross to pay sin’s penalty. – Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Christ rose from the grave and is alive today. – 1 Corinthians 15:4
- You must repent of all that dishonors God. – Isaiah 55:7; Luke 9:23
- You must believe in Christ as Lord and Savior, and be willing to follow after Him. – Romans 10:9
If we are going to be save then this is the message that we must understand and accept. But more than that, if we are going to be evangelists this is the message the we must internalize and be able to regurgitate at a moments notice. How are you doing in this regard?