I recently picked up a pair of the Asics Gel-DS Trainer 13. If you are looking for a technical review you might want to check out the runners world review: HERE. However, if you are looking for the opinion of a just another runner, then here are some of my thoughts.
- First, this would not be the ideal pair of trainers. I have really enjoyed these shoes, but for me they are probably best used as a race shoe. One of the advantages is that they are very light, but this also means that you give up a little on cushioning. For those long runs you will probably want a bit more support.
- They are very close to a neutral shoe. In other words, they are not going to provide you with a lot of stability. This means that for the average runner, like myself, these shoes would work best a as a pair of race day shoes.
- A small feature that I enjoyed were the off center shoe laces. This seems like a small thing, but this feature seemed to help the tongue of the shoe stay in place. Additionally, it made it a little easier to keep the shoe laces from bouncing around on my shins. (shoe laces are kind-of thing for me)
- Before you go out looking for a pair you need to know that it is a relatively narrow shoe (which is a characteristic of asics). This is not a problem for me–it keeps my heel from slipping–but some will find it too narrow.
- A cool, but totally impractical feature is the look of the shoe. The green and black just looks fast!